7 Amazing Jamaica Vervine Bush Tea Benefits
Several studies identify many Vervine bush tea benefits. Benefits of the tea come from the active compounds found in the plant.
Drinking vervine tea is one of the quickest and simplest ways to get some benefits of Vervine.
Jamaicans use Vervine tea to treat diarrhea, colds and fevers, sore throats. They also drink the tea to relieve sinus infections, asthma bronchitis and indigestion.
Some women who are breastfeeding, drink Vervine tea to increase their milk production.
But what is Vervine tea? Keep reading to get the answer.
What is Vervine Tea?
Vervine tea is made from sections of the plant known as Stachytarpheta jamaicensis. However, the common Jamaican name for this plant is Vervine. Is it also referred to as Vervine bush.
Vervine tea has been used as a herbal remedy for centuries.
The leaves and stems of the plant are the sections are used to make herbal tea. You can use either fresh or dried leaves and stems make the bush tea.
Disclosure: This page contains affiliate links. If you buy a product by clicking a link on this website, I will be paid a small commission at no extra cost to you.
How to Make Vervine Tea
- Pour two cups of water into a saucepan
- Add 2 teaspoons of Vervine
- Boil for 10 minutes
- Remove from flames and brew for 3 more minutes.
- Strain, Sweeten (if desired) and serve.
If you are using Vervine powder simply add one teaspoon of powder to a cup of hot water and stir to dissolve the powder. Your tea is ready.
Choose Your Favorite
Vervain Tea Benefits
This herb also grows in the tropical regions of America and the Caribbean. It is also found in the subtropical forests of Africa and Asia.
Just like many other species of Vervain, Vervine bush tea has several health benefits. These are seven of those benefits:
- Antacid: Vervine tea is used in many culture as a “cooling tonic” for the stomach. The tea is used to treat acid reflux, indigestion, stomach ulercs, and improve digestive disorders.
- Antinociceptive: Close examination of different species of Vervain leaves verify plant constituents that are known to have pain relieving effects on animals. More human date is needed.
- Anti-inflammatory Vervain tea can help reduce inflammation that cause upper respiratory infections such as asthma and bronchitis.
- Antidiarrheal: An animal study confirmed the reason the tea is such a popular traditional remedy for diarrhea.
Test subjects were give castor oil to induce diarrhea. The Vervine extract stopped the diarrhea. The report states that Vervine show “significant activity” against diarrhea.
- Antihypertensive: Although Vervain tea is used to manage high blood pressure there has been very little data to support this.
However, recent animal study found that rats that the blood pressure levels and heart rates of rats were fed Vervine extracts over a period of time became lower. And results improved as dosage was increased.
- Antibacterial: Several studies have confirmed that Vervine has the potential to fight bacteria. These findings support the use of Jamaica Vervain for treating gastrointestinal disorders.
- Lactagogue: Tea made with Vervine bush in Jamaican is sometimes used to increase milk production in women who are breastfeeding.
Examiniation of Vervine bush leaves confirms that compounds in the plant regulate hormones and increase milk production in breastfeeding women.
Buy Vervine Tea
You may purchase wildcrafted Vervine products for making tea from online marketplaces such as Etsy and Amazon among other places.
Vervine tea is commercially available in your local store or online.
They are generally marketed under the names Jamaican Blue Vervain or Jamaica Vervain. And you can buy Vervine porudcts in three forms: Loose leaf, Teabags, and Vervine Powder. You may also find Jamaican Vervine liquid extract on Etsy
- Vervine is the local Jamaican name for the Stachytarpheta jamaicensis plant. Vervine tea has long been used to treat several ailments on the island.
- Vervine Tea is consumed for headaches, respiratory infections, indigestion to help breastfeeding women increase their milk production.
- Vervine bush has been tested and found to contain several health benefits. However more human data is needed.
- You can find Vervine tea in stores or online. Organic Jamaican Vervine tea cah be purchased on Etsy.com.
Disclaimer: This website is for informational purposes only. Nothing stated on this site should be viewed as medical advice. Please consult your professional healthcare provider about matters releasing to your medical care.